SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. ALL ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW. APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EARLY APRIL.
IBC2016 in Victoria, BC, Canada
The International Biometric Society (IBS) has set aside funds to encourage the participation by young statisticians in the 2016 International Biometric Conference (IBC2016) to be held in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, 10 – 15 July 2016. Five grants, consisting of $3,000.00 USD each, will provide travel and accommodation expenses for five young statisticians. Grant awardees will give an oral presentation based on their research work in a specific session of the conference called Young Statistician Showcase. This session will be held on Monday 11 July.
How to apply?
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should be student members of the Society.
- Only one paper per student will be accepted.
- Results of particular studies apply only if the analysis has methodological implications or shows a novel and interesting application of statistics to clinical, epidemiological or biological data.
- Papers submitted must be no longer than four pages and must contain original work that has not yet been published, has not been the subject of any other award, and is predominantly the student’s own work. The student applicant must be the leading author of the paper.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a graduate or postgraduate degree program and be younger than 35 years at the end of 2015 to be eligible to apply. Graduates with one of these degrees in 2013 or 2014 are also eligible.
All those interested in applying should follow the instructions below and submit their papers by the extended deadline of Tuesday, 2 February 2016. Check the IBS website for specific, additional details and requirements.
- Applicants should first submit an abstract of their paper through the online abstract submission portal for Contributed Papers by 2 February.Click the bubble to apply for the grant award and enter the competition.
|ApplyDecline||IBS Young Statisticians’ Showcase
Details & Conditions
- Applicants should send an email to the Chair of the Selection Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org and attach a copy (PDF) of the paper for the competition.
- Papers should meet the guidelines of the IBS abstracts as specified in the 2016 Call for Contributed Papers and must be no more than four pages.
- The student applicant should also attach a letter from a former, or current supervisor, on official letterhead of the student’s institution, confirming that the student is registered in (or has obtained in 2013 or 2014) a graduate or postgraduate degree program, and that the paper to be presented is original, neither previously published nor the subject of any other award, and is predominantly the student’s own work.
- The student applicant must attach a short statement about the financial need and the importance of attendance to the conference (no more than 500 words).
All submitted papers will be reviewed by a committee of six judges. Five papers, one from each of the five continental areas(Africa, North America, South America, Europe, and Asia/Australasia/India), will be selected based on the following criteria: clarity, innovation, methodology and application aspects in addition to supporting documents. Each paper will be independently judged by at least two judges.
Awardees will be informed of the outcome by early April, which will allow time to prepare an Oral Presentation for the Young Statistician Showcase at the IBC2016. In case any of the awardees cannot attend, the committee will have the option to select another applicant.